Summer 2024 Entry – Important Application Deadlines
Applications for Summer 2024 entry open through a new Application System on October 2, 2023. (MFE does NOT have January/September starts.)
The final date that you MUST submit the application payment is January 10, 2024 and the final deadline for all the supporting documents including video interview to be received is January 17, 2024. Any fee paid after the fee payment deadline will not be refunded and your application will be listed as “deadline missed”. These late applications will not be reviewed regardless of the reasons.
Applicants must meet the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and MFE program admission requirements.
- A Recognized Four-Year Undergraduate Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent:
Applicants must have completed, or must be in the final year of an appropriate four-year bachelor’s degree program (or its University of Toronto evaluated equivalent) with a minimum mid B standing (3.0/4.0 GPA or 75%) in the final year of that program. Applicants educated in a country other than Canada should check the University of Toronto equivalent qualifications table.
- Strong Preparation in Economics:
Applicants are recommended to have successfully completed the following university-level courses prior to the official start date of the Summer 2024 program (introductory, usually taken in year 1 or 2; intermediate, usually taken in year 2 or 3; or advanced, customarily taken in year 3 or 4):
Intermediate Microeconomics (for example, at U of T: ECO 204 or ECO 206)
Intermediate Macroeconomics (for example, at U of T: ECO 208 or ECO 209)
Intermediate Statistics (for example, at U of T: ECO 220 or ECO 227)
Calculus (for example, at U of T: MAT 133)
- Quantitative & Analytical Proficiency:
Applicants with an undergraduate degree from a non-Canadian university must demonstrate their quantitative/analytical proficiency by meeting the following requirements on the GRE or GMAT scores (applicants must have taken these tests within two years prior to the final application deadline – no exceptions).
- English Language Proficiency:
Applicants must demonstrate the ability to communicate in English in one of the following ways:
- An undergraduate degree from a Canadian university (irrespective of whether the language of instruction is English or French).
- An undergraduate degree from a university in one of the following countries: Australia, the Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Ghana, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Papua New Guinea, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
- An undergraduate degree from a university at which the language of instruction and examination was English. Applicants from a non-English speaking country (other than Canada) whose degree was conducted in English must have that institution mail (address below) an official written statement to the MFE program confirming English as the language of instruction and examination. Address: MFE Program – Admissions Office, Department of Economics, University of Toronto, 150 St. George Street, Toronto, ON M5S 3G7 Canada.
- Satisfactory performance on one of the following standardized English Language Proficiency Tests (applicants must have taken these tests within two years prior to the final application deadline – no exceptions):
- Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL):
- Minimum required overall score on the Paper Based Test (PBT): 610
- Minimum required overall score on the Internet Based Test (iBT): 110
- Results from the TOEFL iBT Home Edition can be used to satisfy the English-language proficiency requirement; however, we do NOT accept scores from TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL MyBest, and TOEFL ITP or TOEFL ITP Plus for China.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS):
- Minimum required overall score: 7.5 (Academic)
- Minimum required score in each part: 6.5
- We do NOT accept the IELTS Indicator or General Training test.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL):
- Minimum required overall score: 70
- Minimum required score in each part: 60
- Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL):
- Evidence of Strong Communication Skills, Both Oral and Written:
- Submit a one-page “Statement of Interest” in PDF format.
- Submit a one-page resume in PDF format.
- Complete a (pre-recorded) “Video Questions Interview”.
- Two Academic References:
Applicants must arrange for two academic references. Applicants with at least two years of professional experience may request the MFE program for permission to submit one academic and one professional reference (details below).
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I have my application pre-assessed?
Unfortunately, we do not pre-assess prospective students' academic background or documents prior to an application being completed, and the application fee being paid to the University of Toronto's School of Graduate Studies.
Can you tell me the average GPA and GRE scores of applicants who are offered admission?
No, we do not make that information available.
As MFE is my first choice, what should I do if I received an offer from another institute and need to reply to them before the MFE admission decision is released?
Please request an extension and immediately contact us at: email@example.com with your full (legal) name and offer details.
Can I attend the MFE Program on a part-time basis?
Can I transfer into the MFE Program?
I’m currently attending school in the US. Do I still have to provide a GRE/GMAT score?
Yes, applicants with an undergraduate degree from a non-Canadian university must take GRE/GMAT.
My Fall Semester grades will be released after the application deadline. What should I do?
A soon as these grades become available, e-mail your updated transcript (in PDF format) to firstname.lastname@example.org with your full (legal) name and application number.
I was previously rejected from the MFE program. Can I re-apply without re-submitting documents all over again?
No. You must apply as a new applicant.
Can more than two letters of recommendation be submitted for me?
Do I have to mail an official paper transcript to you to complete my application?
No, only admitted students will be required to provide an official transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended.
I have a three-year Bachelor’s degree from a university in India. Does that degree satisfy your minimal requirements for admission?
We encourage applications from students with three-year degrees. If you applied and we believe we should offer you admission, your application will be sent to the School of Graduate Studies to review for non-standard admission. We cannot provide any evaluation before the application fee is received.